Monday, January 4, 2021

More dolls from a few years ago

I made these doll heads to stand by building them on top of old thread spools. I had them in my Etsy shop, which I closed in 2017. Etsy was fun, and I met friends then that I still have today. 
Some of these faces are a tad disturbing-I think I was just experimenting. I hope to make more, but most of my doll people will have bodies this time.







 I'm waiting for my large packet of antique clothing to arrive in the mail. From the description, it sounds like it is slightly damaged, so I won't feel bad cutting it and repurposing it into doll clothing and animals. I love using old cloth-I prefer it. It has a story. I love to think of who wore it-what their life was...Making doll's clothing is the most fun for me-I love to decide who the doll is. I'm working on another circus man-he's quite primitive as I'm feeling awkward from not making dolls in a few years. But I'm so excited about it! And I can't wait to show you the old clothing when it arrives in the mail!
Thank you for your visit and your comments. It means so much to me!

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Every one of these doll faces has so much character! Disturbing in some and not disturbing in others. Just like real people with different shaped heads, different colored eyes, askew noses and numerous “bed heads”! What did you use for the hair?? Debra, I can’t wait to see the antique clothing you are going to use. These projects take so much imagination! Don’t rush them, just enjoy the process!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your doll faces, I see as thoughtfully philosophical. :)
They have the depth of personality I prefer to see in primitive art. It takes talent to achieve the skill to create features as well as you do.

Hill Top Post said...

I so love your primitive style here. I especially like the one third from the bottom. And, I hope you won't mind my saying that the first one reminds me of Van Gogh. I also like using old cloth, but the really good old stuff is getting hard to come by. I cringe when I think of all the beautiful old pieces that have been lost throughout time. And, yes, I have been guilty of contributing to that too, before I became enlightened.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lovely dolls heads. I'm looking forward to seeing the new clothes from old ones.

Debra said...

Thank you, Barbara. I used wool and flax for their hair. The fifth one from the top has flax hair. I've also ordered more to add to my stash! I'll share my sources when I get things in the mail.

Debra said...

Maywin that's so kind of you but if you knew how I struggled-you'd know it's very hard for me to accomplish. I think I just stumble along. But I do enjoy it, so that keeps me wanting to improve.

Debra said...

Thank you...I like that doll too, and the Van Gogh-I wish I had thought of that-it's perfect. There are so many arguments pro and con for using old clothing. I've been presuaded both ways about cutting things up or preserving them. I hope I am giving new life that matters when I use old cloth that would just be thrown away perhaps. Your dolls are true works of art.

Debra said...

Thank you so much!

jenclair said...

My favorite is the one with the veil! Can't wait to see your new crew of dolls and animals, Debra. You may actually get me back into clay again. I didn't even make a Halloween doll this year and none for Christmas. I'm also eager to see your order of antique clothing!

DVArtist said...

Ohhh I love your dolls heads especially the disturbing ones. I make head and put them on old bed springs. I just might have to pull out my clay.

Barbara said...

Comment on some old posts…I’m in a doll making mood. Was wondering if your fabric from Etsy ever found their way into clothing for any of your incredible dolls! I’ve hoped so!