Monday, January 10, 2022

Inspired by "A Bit of Birdsong"

I love Lynn's YouTube channel called "A Bit of Birdsong." Her newest FREE tutorials on her channel go through the process from start to finish-of how to make an art journal. I could have written that sentence a bit better! Please view her first in that series below this post. I didn't know how to make this all one post, so her video is separate. She has a series of videos that will show her lovely work and just take you on a wonderful journey of journal-making.

Above is my version of the cover. It's quite different than hers, but the inspiration is ALL from her videos. She includes free printouts of the photos and words that get included in the finished project.

A huge thank you to Lynn for all her dedicated and beautiful work.

Above will be my second page. The photo is from Tim Holtz.
Above and following are pictures of my studio. I got in a New Year's frenzy of rearranging and sorting and organizing. I'm using my grandma's ancient wooden ironing board as another table.

I went to a local thrift shop and found some tremendous books to use in journals and this little stove. I couldn't resist it. I'd like to find some little tin dishes for it. I have it on my table where I paint and read.
I was looking closely at my stuff in this studio-all the furniture is old! I love this chair. It was my great-grandparent's. The sewing machine cabinet was my grandma's.

Above-my grandpa's desk.

 I wanted to say a little thing about journal-making. I had been in a HUGE art block for over a year. I had stress from not being able to paint. It was the worst feeling.
I can't remember just how I found out about art/junk journaling, but it has given me the spark I needed to get creating again.
I'm thankful for the YouTube videos I have poured over, and the generous and helpful spirit I see in the artists that share their work and love for journaling.
Thank you for your visit, and please watch Lynn's beautiful series about making art journals. You will be glad you did.

***Thank you Lynn!***

11 comments:

sirkkis said...

Interesting tutorial and same are your cover and second page🤩 I've handmade ATCs and pages too, but when started to learn digital art, I left them. I have materials left, and just today looked my Finnish blog friend's newest art and discussed the same thing. She makes all kinds fantastic handmade art and has also You Tube tutorials.
You have very beautiful old furnitures and things.I look forward seeing more your art. I saved the video tutorial and will look at more 👏

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

It is good to seeing your beautiful creations. Your studio is very comfy looking.
Art journal, I didn't get what it is until reading your post. I think it is a wonderful way to get out of a creative slump.

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad the art journaling has helped you t get back into creative mode.Love your old furniture, so beautiful!

abitofbirdsong said...

Oh my goodness, Debra, thank you so much for mentioning my channel and journal. I am so happy to be able to share art, and seeing your journal is just so inspiring to me! I love it! I get art blocks sometimes, and I'm grateful to others as well for helping me get inspired again. I love the pictures from your studio! Ummmmmm, I think we might be alike. LOL Thank you again, and happy journaling!!

Hill Top Post said...

I love your studio. The old feeling is quite wonderful and, no doubt, the perfect place to work. That's a great second page! I will go now and watch more from Lynn.

Henny Penny said...

Thank you for such a nice post about journaling and about Lynn's "A Bit of Birdsong". She will appreciate this. Oh, I love all the antique furniture in your studio. Such beautiful pieces and how special that they belonged to your grandparents and great grandparents. I still use one of those old wooden ironing boards in my sewing room but it doesn't look quite as old and beautiful as yours. And that little metal stove! I think I had one just like that many many many years ago, and a set of the tiny metal pots and pans. Enjoyed this post.

Barbara said...

I will watch, Debra! I need the same kick in the pants these days. Lol! I love your studio and the way it connects you to your ancestors. I see a painting of yours on one wall that gave us all a tutorial on how to go about painting a townscape. Be sure to give us a tour of a completed journal!,

DVArtist said...

Whatever it takes to get the creativity going. Your studio is amazing having such pieces of furniture that connects you to your family. Have a great day today.

jenclair said...

I think everyone needs a new way to approach a renewal of creative energy every once in a while. You've found one that combines so many elements, from memory to ideas for future work. Love the warmth of all the wood in your antique pieces!

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh what a lovely post sweet friend. I love the cover of your art journal...I zoomed in and enjoyed all the creativity that went into the design. Your first page is great. Loved seeing your studio. I have an old treadle sewing machine in the same type of cabinet. Mine belonged to my grandma. Hope you keep sharing your wonderful art. I am trying to paint each day...so far have only missed a couple of days. Have a good weekend. Hugs!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are SO lucky to be able to hand sew. I have no pinch grip, so can't grip a needle. I really LOVE your cover and that first set of pages. You have a real gift.

You are so lucky to have your antiques in your craft room. I have a ton of antiques, but none in my craft room. I love the goat on the table. What a gem. And you have lovely pieces that fit so well with your decor. Some of the vignettes are great. Thanks for recommending the YouTube channel and for the tour of your incredible craft studio (it is more a studio in my opinion).