Friday, April 1, 2022

Tallisah and Bird~ A Story


 "Just stand still and he will land on your head," Tallisah's father said.

She was afraid, even though Bird, as they called him, was still a young raven. But she stood, and Bird flew straight toward her. The landing was perfect, Bird didn't hurt her, and he stayed on her head as she walked. As long as she didn't move too fast, Bird stayed on her head until he was curious about something else.

Bird grew fast, overnight it seemed. He was large, and his talons were too long for landing on heads. 

It had been almost a year. Her father had been very sick. His death was quick-too quick. She had all the memories of training Bird with her father. No one could take those from her. 

It was night, as dark as Bird's feathers had been. He was gone too. She had one feather from Bird. It was on her bedroom wall, next to the window. Her thoughts went to Bird and her father as she sat in the night next to the bright snapping campfire. Sparks flew upward and she watched them. Looking up, she spotted the constellation Orion. It was her father's favorite star formation. She sat, the warmth of the fire comforting her. 

Tallisah whispered into the night, "Thank You, God."

***


For a little back story about this story, please see my comment below.


13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Wow! I love the art and the story. Have a wonderful day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is a beautiful, albeit very sad story this week, Debra. It sounds rather personal, too. My heart goes out to Tallisah.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The story stirs the heart.

Henny Penny said...

I enjoyed your story and your art.

craftytrog said...

Beautiful art Debra, and I love your story!
Alison

Hill Top Post said...

I love both the art and the story. I am wondering if it connects to you personally in some way.

Debra said...

I remember in writing class - "write about what you know." We all have so many stories inside us. We are walking books, just waiting to be told or read by others. So there are bits in this story that I know to be real, but I've changed the main part of the story. I know what it's like to lose two dads I loved dearly. One when I was 4, the second time 4 years ago. My step father loved birds and would pick up feathers he found and save them for me. Of course I treasure them. He also told me about Orion when he and my mom were first married, wen I was 7 years old. Later in life I found out he had a teacher that had a 'star machine' that showed the constellations on the classroom ceiling. Orion was one he remebered and loved.

Hill Top Post said...

I am glad to know more about your story. How fortunate you were to have your step father come into your life after having lost your father. I have a friend who sent me a feather - a goose’s feather. I treasure it!

sirkkis said...

Your story is wonderful - even like a fairytale, and it comes from your hear.
Your painting is a masterpiece. You've painted lovely face and expression on the girl's face and the feathers on the raven are perfect.
Love your painting.

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah what a poignant story with lovely art dear friend. I do remember when your step dad passed away. Hard to believe it has been 4 years. So glad you shared this wonderful post. Hugs!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Wonderful artwork and a really lovely story. So heartfelt.

-Soma

Becki said...

I love the picture. And how you portray the bird at two different sizes. Thank you for writing the back story above. I'm sorry for your losses. While I am sure you would have preferred to not have lost your first father, that you have had two fathers you loved (and who loved you) is a gift.