Sunday, January 15, 2023

Large dragonfly ink drawing

I did a pen and ink drawing of my dragonfly. I found him last summer as I was walking down our road. He was dead, and missing most of one wing. I like bugs, so I took him to my studio. He's been in my little desk till I decided to draw him. The mark on the bottom left of the drawing is the edge of the paper, which I couldn't get out by editing. Blogger is not letting me add a caption. Oh well...

This is the ink I used. I used sepia. I love this ink.
I used this book to find a font style I wanted to learn.

 And this is the paper and ink pen. I was going to use watercolor to color parts of the drawing, but decided against it. So this paper is not a good match for pen and ink because of the rough surface, but with the pen nib I used, it wasn't too much of a problem.

Don't for one second think that I got all the tiny parts of his wings drawn correctly. I tried-but I did get the general idea of the amazing structure of his wings.
This was good 'medicine' for me-I enjoyed it.
I hope you like it too...

12 comments:

Barbara said...

Debra, this drawing is amazing, and you did it without your chosen materials. I like it as is with no color. Excellent!

kathyinozarks said...

I Love your dragonfly Debra, I think I have that book too, a few years ago I collected a couple calligraphy books to learn-I need to get back to that one day.
several years ago when I was pumping gas I found a butterfly with it's wings open but had died-I took her home and put her in a piece of pottery with a lid-the butterfly hasn't changed a bit-thought that was amazing.
keep making art-hugs

Hill Top Post said...

This is good art, Debra! I love it and would leave it as is. It definitely took some patience to draw all those delicate little lines.

Hill Top Post said...

I reread my comment and want to change the “good art” to “great art” I took the good from your good medicine comment. You might want to change that to”great medicine.” 😉I am greatly impressed with all your art work this new year. Wow!

sirkkis said...

Very well painted, Debra.
Your story is sad, but you gave the poor thing new life :)
Have a happy day xx

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

A lovely drawing, your printing in beautiful as well.

Becki said...

Your broken-winged dragonfly is beautifully drawn, Debra. And it's fun seeing your artist's tools.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Fabulous drawing, dragonflies are very interesting.

artbyjune said...

Beautiful! I love dragonflies.

LS Nelson said...

Utterly charming! Both the drawing and the calligraphy.

Henny Penny said...

Oh I do like it Debra. It is amazing and beautiful. Dan loves Dragonflies and wants one tatooed on his arm. We see lots of them around the pond. Oh, I love your drawing of the Hare too!

John (JWJarts) said...

I saw you on Debbie's blog, came across to have a look and saw your Dragonfly. I love Pen & Ink work too and really like what you've done.