Friday, March 6, 2020

A RANT about art practices!

 Ugh. Sometimes-most times, I am not very happy with the art I make. But I keep making marks, making muddy paint color sometimes, and scratching out with a pencil, trying to draw...
Above is my try for today. I was looking at a tree from my window-it's just too chilly for me to sit outside and try to paint.
 This is a painting I did a few years ago, from  A photo I took. I took lots of pictures of this moth because he wasn't moving. Such a gorgeous creature. There are many things wrong with this painting but I loved doing it, and I took many hours with it. My RANT is about the idea of painting from photographs-which seems to be a hot topic.
This morning I did a little online search and found two opposing views on this, but the one against really upset me until I found the view expressed that yes-it really is ok to paint from your photos.
The one pro-photo is by Marvin Mattelson, a fine portrait artist and instructor. The view against painting from photos is by artist David M. Kessler.
I found his views to be downright offensive.

"You will never be a good painter if you only copy from photos."
"You will get into the habit of copying, rather than creating."
"You will not learn how to create color harmony because you simply copy the colors in a photo."

There's more.
And he IS a great artist, and I'm sure he has a long list of degrees and makes a nice living with his art.
I just don't like his edicts about using photos. I think it's unfair.
Mr. Kessler makes the point that if you are striving to take really fine photos to begin with-you will have the values AND the composition correct. His portrait art requires photography, and that's all there is to it. 
So many of us do require photos to paint from.
Let's not put down each other because we use different methods.
We're all learning.
Expression of something inside us is what counts.
I also love to paint in a childlike, folky way.
I paint so I can express myself. And because I can't help it.
I may never ever be good.
And that's ok.
I'll keep on trying, and sometimes even use my photos...

Sources:
www.davidmkessler.com, "Don't Paint From Photographs"
and
blog.fineartportrait.com, "Why the Negative Reaction to Painting From Photos?"
by Marvin Mattelson

8 comments:

Barbara said...

I love the moth painting! He is remarkable, and you painted him against such realistic white peeling wood! The contrast is amazing. I also ALWAYS love your folksy paintings, and never doubt that they are good. They take so much artistic imagination! “Two black foxes walk at night”, holy moly how do you come up with something like that?! It’s artistic genius. I have more but will send you an email :)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh. Every single art form whether paint, thread or fabric has it's critics of a person's method of creating. It's all so irrelevant unless you copy and present it as your own. But that is COPY...not inspiration. Pain what you like however you like to do it. You have a great talent.
xx, Carol

Debra said...

Thank you, Barbara and Carol!

Barbra Joan said...

Debra, where are these rules and Who makes them ? I paint a lot from photos and always did. I don’t see a right or wrong in any method and think that’s what makes an artist. The ability to put marks down that are still your own. Don’t give a hoot what anyone says . That’s just his opinion.

Debra said...

Yes, you're right!

kathyinozarks said...

This is a good point and I am glad you shared this. I have done allot of quilting in the past and many of those "experts" go on and on about the :right wayt: to do things-finally someone said I don't care about the Quilt Police so I say don't worry about the Painters Police haha making art or any creative activity is good for our soul. and if one is using their own photos in particular both are art forms.-hugs thanks so much for your kind comments on my post

Debra said...

Love your comment, Kathy!!! Thank you!

kathyinozarks said...

most welcome-hugs I love your moth very much