Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The garden, July 1 and other ramblings (a RANT included)

 This is a happy place for me this year. I love weeding, digging, planting, and looking. I look every single morning at this place. My eyes are happy. My brain is happy.
 God has made so many different leaf shapes!
 Below is my new friend, Harry. He is blending in with the dirt. I think he lives under the rhubarb leaves. He is a very good fellow to have for slugs and bugs.
Thank you, Harry.

 The gardener's feet wore out...



 I have Mason bees filling the little tubes!!! I am so excited!
Now this is how someone behaves during a pandemic-they get crazy about bees using a bee house. 
 My fresh picked greens ready to be washed and some of them eaten for breakfast. I can feel the healthy stuff in my bones from this.
But here's the rant,
saved for last.
It's face masks.
Please tell me why people are not wearing them. That's what I asked my local Walmart manager, because I saw way too many people not wearing them, walking close by me, in an over-crowded store. I live near Watkins Glen, NY. This is tourist season, and you would never know there are thousands of people in the US contracting this horrid virus, with no real end in sight.
The manager said there's nothing they can do. Smaller stores can enforce mask wearing but he can't police the store, and frankly-it's too dangerous now to confront those who don't comply.

He was very nice, I was very nice.
But I am not going back there to shop. It's too scary. I've got an 88 year old mom in assisted living, and I do not want to unknowingly take this virus to her. She and I visit outside of the facility-with masks on, at 6 feet apart-no hugging-anything I bring to her has to wait 3 days before its given to her. I go through this with her so she won't get sick.

And some jerk can't stand to wear a face mask for - how long do you spend in Walmart? An hour? THAT'S taking away your freedom? 
Nope-sorry, I don't buy it.
I think you are totally selfish if you don't wear a mask until we know it's safe not to.

ohhhh, ok-back to my garden.
Have a SAFE Fourth of July.


9 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Debra-this is good place to rant-so rant away-I do sometimes, this is a good sounding board.
I love your garden very peaceful-hugs

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely photos. I have a friend called Harry, too, but he looks different. I do not understand why some people are so careless. They think corona is over. Here masks must be worn in stores and a!l public transport and banks. But people go partying, no masks, no distancing. So foolish. Stay safe, hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Hello Debra, and thank you for visiting my corner 😊 I can imagine how therapeutic is have such a lovely place as you have to grow healthy vegetables. Nice that you have Harry to help you πŸ˜‰
I use a mask when are shopping.
Have happy time and stay safe ♥️πŸ¦‹πŸŒ»

Barbara said...

Wow, is Harry a toad or snake? My eyes are not sure. You remind me of my daughter in MA. She and her husband have their first house with a yard and her happy place is also her garden! We are constantly getting pictures with texts of her harvest. Last one was a handful of strawberries. I am not a happy gardener, but growing things in pots where zi don’t have to get down on the ground 🀣 works for me. AMEN to your rant. I fear this virus will be with us for a long time. Two things might help...a vaccination and/or some national leadership!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear friend - you have pink poppies growing in your garden too...don't you just love them. Even the pods to my eyes are beautiful. As for Harry - did you steal him from my deck? Maybe he has a twin brother. Yes the garden this time of the year speaks to our hearts. Your lettuce and greens look delicious. I cut some for our evening meal. Take care and stay safe - Hugs!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Hello Harry!
Happy Bees!
People that can't wear mask might be able to wear a face shield. I believe the majority of people not wearing masks, don't have a real medical problem about wearing a mask. Somes stores have a sign on the door a mask is required. If employees can stand near the check out lanes to tell people what register to go to, then one can stand at the door to say no to people without a mask...and hand them one.

jenclair said...

Love, love, love your garden--and the charm of that rusted mailbox! A friend with a large garden provided us with fresh black-eyed peas. Oh, the difference between fresh and frozen. :)

We have the same problem here. Our cases have taken a drastic spike upwards lately, and still people are not only irresponsible, but angry at the very thought of keeping others safe.

Leaon Mary said...

amen sister I couldn't agree more. I just don't get it. My own dad is upper 80s and he thinks the whole corona virus is a sham. He won't wear a mask and as for people in my neck of the woods.. so many do not wear masks either. ? Try to keep yourself safe friend. AND spend tons of time in that gorgeous garden of yours... omg... you have so many hidden and unexpected treasures in there.. I lovie!

DVArtist said...

I wanted to make a bee house and ordered bamboo but they sent me the wrong thing. So I didn't make one. I think it is OK we have lots of bees this year and I got stung the other day. Love your photos.