Tuesday, August 18, 2020

sketchbook

 Simplified people drawings...
would probably be better if I used a photo to draw from, or a live model.
But I'm not very good with people drawings-just having some fun.

This is Common Snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus), a bush about 4-5 feet tall.
There are extreme opinions whether it's edible or not. That says to me-do not chance it.
DO NOT EAT THIS BERRY.
I have seen it for sale on Etsy,
proclaiming it is edible.
A very short Google-time will tell you information that will confuse you on this subject, so the very best thing to do is=
DO NOT EAT.
Wikipedia says it contains the isoquinoline alkaloid chelidonine.
While many foods contain alkaloids,
that does not give it the go-ahead.
This plant has had many uses in the past, but the best is to just look at it.
The stems are fragile looking. The berries are cute. The teeny tiny flowers are adorable and pink.
The bush is mildly invasive-slow growing-but very hard to get rid of if you don't want it popping up in the middle of your day lily bed (I know.)

8 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

I agree, if there is even a chance don't use it. I have used wild plants (weeds) for things but I make sure there is doubt it is safe and am totally positive of it's identity
I never drew anything before I decided to try painting-I am going to work on that this fall and winter

Valerie-Jael said...

I like your pretty sketches, and having fun makes them even better. Here I learnt that snow-berries are poisonous. There are lots of hedges with them. Look after yourself and have a good week! Hugs, Valerie

Barbara said...

Your drawings are charming, Debra! The people are so your folksy style, and you have a flair for realistic vegetation. Keep having fun!

jenclair said...

Neat sketches! Fun, but also great practice. I love the look of the snow berries, but thanks for the warning about how difficult it is to get rid of once it has established itself. My small garden doesn't need any (more) spreaders. :)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely sketches. Thank you for the tip.

Barbara said...

PS...I’m with Kathy on painting without drawing. I used to draw decades ago when in art classes, but not anymore. I was never really good at it, and now it’s too hard an my hands. No loss! Lol!

Aritha V. said...

The drawing are so pretty!

Debbie Nolan said...

I like your people Debra...it is always so good to have fun sketching. I have never heard of these berries but like you I would not chance it. It is always interesting to gather a bit of nature to sketch...one of my favorite things to draw. Hugs!