Friday, August 14, 2020

Little bit of everything...

 I did this drawing of my favorite weed. It's called Sheperd's Purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris).
I think it's adorable, with heart-shaped pods.
Culpeper's Complete Herbal says, "It is under the dominion of Saturn, and of a cold, dry, binding nature. It helps all fluxes of blood, caused by either inward or outward wounds; as also flux of the belly, and bloody-flux..."
Well, I guess that's enough.
It's a cute plant, and you should see it now in waste places or in your yard. The tiny seeds are inside the hearts.
 I visited Barnes and Noble-in person! So I bought these lovely things. The "Joyful Mending" book is truly a joy to look at, with lots of creative ideas for making-do. The magazines are wonderful as well.
I have 3 sewing or mending projects going on, and I added this one. I am making a kitty for our Mennonite neighbor's little girl. Oh what a sweet family they are. I'll show my progress as I get the kitty done.
Have a safe and blessed weekend.
Thanks so much for your visit-it means a lot to me!

9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful drawing. Thomas Culpeper lived in Spitalfields in London, where I grew up - but not at the same time! Have fun with your sewing projects. The kitty will make that little girl happy. Have a great weekend! Hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Interesting delicate fern, Debra. I look forward seeing the kitty ready, sure its cute.
Happy weekend and upcoming week xx

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The kitten looks like a lovely project. Joyful mending sounds joyful just in the words. So that's what that weed is called! As a child, I use to pull the seeds pods off to use as confetti. It is a lovely plant.

kathyinozarks said...

I love your drawing and I pretty sure I have seen this one.
I love new reading material, great choices the book sounds really interesting and will be anxious to see your finished kitty-very sweet of you to make this for the little girl. Happy weekend hugs

Sue (this n that) said...

A lovely delicate drawing Debra. I think the kitty idea is so sweet of you... it will be beaut to see its progress.
I have some of my hubby's gardening trousers which have taken a battering and way toying with the idea of mending them ;D) xx💐

DVArtist said...

Love the drawing. So nice that you are mending. LOL

jenclair said...

Weeds can be very beautiful, can't they? Not in the garden, but in a field, I love weeds. Can't wait to see the kitty when you finish!

artbyjune said...

I love your botanical drawing of the shepherds purse. I don't think I've seen one of those weeds!

Barbara said...

How did I miss a post from you?! I try not to. :) The heart shaped vegetation is sweet. I’ve never seen it here! Please show the kitty again, it will be perfect!