Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Just a hello...

These moth photos were taken before we had our house sided and the windows replaced. Our house is about 120 years old, or more. And those windows showed their age! Bubbles in the glass, wavy glass, and hard to fix when there was a problem. The wood was so old! New windows keep the heat and cold out, but have no personality, and beautiful moths do not want to land on them.
This gorgeous creature stayed right on the window for a few hours. It had sprayed its calling card on the window, and sure enough, a mate appeared after a while. I got photos of the mate, but I didn't include them here. I have done a few paintings using these photos. Seeing these creatures is an awe inspiring event. I felt like I was seeing something I'd probably never see again.

Above~someone used a can lid to plug a hole! Of course, that was covered over when the siding went on the house.

Some fall pictures...the asparagus is covered with dew.
The beautiful hazelnut bush and the purple leaves of the Nine-bark bush look pretty together...
My lovely Sam...She has helped me cope with this awful pandemic. I've heard that petting a cat lowers a person's blood pressure. Holding a goose on your lap and petting those soft feathers does the same thing. I always put my hands under her wings to feel the soft, warm down. These pictures are a few years old too, and taken when our lawn was greeen. Right now the grass is brown. We are waiting for a warmer touch from the sun.
In a few weeks Sam will decide to lay a few eggs. She gets all motherly-acting and builds nests. That's when I know I have to open her little egg-laying house. She will turn 20 years old this June 6. We are having a corn party.

***
I wanted to thank my blog freinds for being such good pals. And everyone who comments-thank you! The seclusion of this pandemic has taken a toll on all of us. No matter what our political beliefs are, we have each other and we share our lives here on Blogger-and that has kept my sanity at times. So I want to thank you-and just say God bless you.
 

15 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I agree with you our blogging friends can help us with stress and dealing with the isolation issues.
I loved your post-old homes do have allot of character, we have most always lived in old farm houses til we moved to Missouri-houses are old here but not farm type homes. I love your moth very beautiful.
Hugs Kathy

jenclair said...

Wonderful pics! I especially love the can lid used to plug the hole, Debra. Practical ingenuity and recycling. Congratulations to Sam (and you) on a new generation!

Hill Top Post said...

Oh, I love this post! I have been feeling the same way about my blogging friends and am so thankful for YOU all! Sam will be 20! ONly with your loving care could this be. Does she ever sit on her eggs and raise a family? I don't know much about moths, but this one is a real beauty. Is it a cecropia, the largest of our native moths?

Valerie-Jael said...

Too true, this pandemic has radically altered our lives. Sam is a beauty, glad you have each other! And that moth is fabulous! Stay safe, hugs, Valerie

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lovely photos, that moth looks very big.

Barbara said...

A beautiful post Debra, with beautiful photos. The moth is so interesting, and I can’t wait to see what Sam presents you with this spring. Such a lovely last paragraph during a difficult year. Amen!

Debra said...

Yes, she was almost 5 inches across her wings.

Debra said...

Sam (and my other geese, which are now in heaven) has never had a man-goose to fertilize the eggs, so no babies. Yes, the moth is a cecropia. The male looked so different. I'll try to post his picture sometime.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

A visit from a goose fellow for Sam's birthday?

Debra said...

No-it will just be humans at the birthday party! Sam thinks she's one of us anyway!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

How lovely is that moth and I can see how lovely you will capture it in one of your paintings! I love all of your photos! So sweet that Sam has been a comfort to you. Hopefully the pandemic will pass and be just a horrible memory that we look back on. Always love dropping by here!

Debbie Nolan said...

Wow Debra these photos are super. Those moths are so big. Once in a great while I have had one stop and visit. So glad you still have Sam. Twenty years is such a long time to enjoy such a delightful friend. I am getting spring fever and I am sure you are too. Yes blogging buddies has certainly helped me too :)! Hugs

Polly said...

How lovely is Sam and how lovely to have her on your lap. The moth is absolutely beautiful.

Debra said...

It's nice to have you visit!

DVArtist said...

These are beautiful photos.