Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Of bushes and houses

Come in and visit for a spell....(This is our lower entrance into our yard-through the privet hedge, which is bare now of course-from the winter)
I have been making little houses, a little bit inspired by my crush on England, even though I've never been there and I don't know much about the country-I am daffy about it. All because of Lark Rise to Candleford. (Also, some of my ancestors came from England).

 I'm reading the trilogy by Flora Thompson, and I absolutely love it. It's like having a grandma tell you about how things were back in her day-things that have gone by the way-side. Beautiful memories... First published in 1939-I'm still on the first in the trilogy, 'Lark Rise.'  The BBC movie production of this book has me mesmerized by its beauty and the lovely human stories that bring the characters alive. Superbly written and filmed and acted-please don't let this one slip by you...

My little houses are not at all like the ones in the movie series, but I am pretending they are all sea side houses, along some craggy coastline.


(Above) The books I'm reading now-note the book covers are all color-coordinated!

 I covered the cardboard and masking tape houses with paperclay and then painted the windows and doors. I'm not sure what I'll do with them-maybe make the seaside I have imagined.

13 comments:

jenclair said...

Oh, these little houses! Definitely seaside along a craggy coast and charming and full of stories of lives lived! A bookish inspiration translated to a three dimensional village. Adore them!

sirkkis said...

Oh, how charming entrance, interesting, too.
Books give us a wonderful new world to enjoy.
Your paper art is fascinating 🌷💗

kathyinozarks said...

Oh Wow I am in love with your little houses-I will check out these books for sure-will check out bbc too and see if I can find the show.
I love your walk way through the hedge. we have a wisteria entrance similiar to this at the woods house-and always loved it Happy Wednesday

Hill Top Post said...

I always enjoy visiting you here, and I can always bet on getting inspired. I will, for sure, go looking for the BBC movie. I love your little houses!

DVArtist said...

Ohhh very nice neighborhood. LOL The houses look wonderful.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the houses. I loved those books and films, too. Have a great week, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

I found the trilogy as a kindle book-thanks again

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your little houses are adorable! England, then you might like the blog, Saltairedaily.blogspot aka Salt & Light.

Barbara said...

An archway of greenery entrance is very welcoming! What can I say about your little houses?! They were surely a bit tedious to create and paint, but I know what it feels like to be driven by an idea you are excited about. They have an old time European flavor and are totally charming!!!

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh I had such a nice visit. Like you I adore seeing the old English countryside. I would so love to visit there. Your houses are amazing. I know you will find a perfect setting to place them. Smile spring is here. Hugs!

artbyjune said...

Lovely little houses. You could do a village scene. I also loved watching 'lark rise to Candleford' on TV when it came out.

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

I love your houses. So charming and well done. Must be a lot of work too. I loved the series about Lark Rise. There are some great series from England. Maybe you will enjoy Cranford too? Happy Easter 🐣 All the best from Lone

sirkkis said...

Hello Debra,
and thank you for your kind comment on my site. I have ready a page I used your lovely birth present. The page associates in maps or travelling, and I'm waiting for a theme for it. Sore it some day comes...
I wish that your Easter is happy and full of nature wonders.
Hugs xx