Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Goodbye Monnie bean

 I officially closed my Monnie bean Folk Art business this morning. I really feel the end of something. It took a while to get to this point because I haven't made anything to sell for years-at least 3 years now. But somehow when a dream ends, the door shuts and it hurts.  

It's raining. Sam will be out in it all day, with her head down, looking in the grass for things to eat.

The ordinary little blessings of life go on...










Etsy was very good for me. That's where I was seen by a Stampington Magazine editor. I just could not believe my eyes when I saw her message to me. She wondered if I was interested in showing my handmade things in one of their magazines! So for a while, that became my project, as the artists featured in those magazines write the articles to go with the art. I had my fiber art and handbags in about 15 issues of Stampington Magazines. It was fun, hard work too, and so other-worldly to see your own things in a real magazine!!! I still am amazed by it.

I guess I waited a while to make the business closing a real on paper thing. Now I know why-it hurts. I don't want to give it up, but I know it's time. I have passed the time of wanting to sell on line, and I just don't want to make things like I used to.

Now I want to paint pictures, which I am very clumsy at and feel like I am looking up a mountain at all the skills I don't have and must try to learn. I don't know if I will learn them.

It was important to me to mark the end of Monnie bean. I started the business 13 years ago. That's a lot of time gone by. I am glad for all of it. I met wonderful people and I had fun. I was not successful as far as making money-not at all. 

I think I'll take a lesson from my goose, Sam. I'll poke around in the weeds, soak up the sun and the rain. I'll look up and be thankful.

***

10 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry you have to close your business down, but as you say, everything has its time, and we can really learn a lot from animals and birds, they just get on with the essential things in life. I hope ou will have fun painting. Have great day, hugs, Valerie

Barbara said...

I have been there and I understand. It’s too much as we get older to keep up with demands and deadlines. The empty feeling of a door shutting does hurt but only until discovering the new door that opened. Everything has its season. I’m looking forward to what’s next for you. Creativity finds a way to come out.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Sorry to read your business is closing. Perhaps this new chapter will be your art developing online, more than I you give yourself credit for.
If only life always felt as much fun as Sam in the baking pan. lol. Fantastic photo. Would make a neat shop name and logo...Sam in the Baking Pan Art...think about it. :)

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I read a few Stampington magazines in the past-always an inspiration-congratulations on being an artist and a contributor to that.
sometimes it's just time to let things go and move on-it's hard though-hugs I know your next creative project will come forward-

sirkkis said...

Hello Debra,
You know best what is best to do with your business. Your art is so original and lovely and I don't wonder that it's published
Art magazines. Make business is different thing and it's hard work. I'm glad you don't stop painting and look forward seeing them soon.
Thank you showing the gorgeous characters, love every pieces a lot.
Sure I'll love your paintings,too ♥️👍

jenclair said...

I'm sorry not to be seeing all of Monnie Bean's lovely creations, but I do understand how interests can and do change. I read once that there is a sort of saturation point somewhere around seven years, and although my interests have often lasted longer than that, I've found there to be some truth in the comment. Enjoy the next step!

Hill Top Post said...

I also feel a bit sad that your Monnie Bean Folk Art business is closing. What fun it will be for you to look back on those magazine pages and remember those out-of-this-world feelings. I love your final summary. "I'll take a lesson from my goose..."

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Debra had not read your post when I emailed you this morning. I can imagine how hard this must have been. Sometimes we have to say goodbye in order to welcome something new. I know "He"has something good waiting around the bend sweet friend. Sending you a big hug!

DVArtist said...

I know this is difficult. However, you made the choice to close your business. Covid closed mine after 30 years. I am sick over it. Your art is so lovely and imaginative. I know your painting will be as creative.

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

I’m sorry about your business came to an end. Of course it hurts when a door shots. Just take your time and rely on God. Very excited to see what door will opens next. You are a wonderful artist and so creative💕☀️ God bless you🙏