Sunday, August 8, 2021

Of Paint and Feathers

 I have been painting-it is a relief to be able to sit in front of my table and move paint around with a brush. 


My camera is old and getting tired. So the photos are not the best. I realize there's lots of room for my painting skills to get better. 

This is a scene I see every morning on my walks with my husband. There's a peninsula of trees that jut out into the field. The trees cast a long shadow early in the morning.


This is blurry, but maybe my idea comes across. I'm falling in love with abstract landscapes. I have lots to learn about value-for some reason it's hard for me. It might be the years of flat folk style painting I did, but it is a hard one for me to switch gears. 


Excuse the dirty window-we can't open it, and after years of robin's nests, it probably won't look much better ever.

This is the third nesting. Of course I have no way to know if it's the same parents each time, but this brood has a different, sweet story.

Mama robin sat on this nest for a few weeks and sang a sweet song-not like the male, but similar. She sang and sang and sang. It was because she was a single parent. I watched like a scientist, noting when she got off the nest, no one came to sit in her place. She spent almost all her time sitting and singing, trying to call anyone to help raise her kids.

Finally, the babies hatched, and suddenly, a male appeared. The funny thing was-he still wasn't there all the time. He helped when he felt like it.

Now the babies are close to fledging. I will miss the mama's sweet plaintive song when the babies finally take that first flight. 


My flower gardens and vegetable gardens are messy. I feel like the beneficial bugs like it better that way.



Take good care, and please get vaccinated if you aren't already.

11 comments:

artbyjune said...

I like the idea of abstract landscapes. I would love to try painting some landscapes too. Tonal values are difficult...I really have to concentrate to get them right. I love the robin story... good it had a happy ending. Maybe that male helper will be her partner next year!

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Debra, must feel really good to be painting again-I usually wait for my muse to inspire me as to what art direction I am going. loved the sweet story of the mama bird-we love birds too. beautiful flowers-hope to have flowers next year in that spot I am working on.
we did get the covid vaccine shots, chose pfizer seemed best choice for our ages and health. Happy new week hugs Kathy

Hill Top Post said...

Oh, how I love this post. EVERYTHING about this post. I love the long shadows you paint. Your abstract landscapes are wonderful, somewhat Van Goghish. Three nestings and an amazingly beautiful garden. Now, that's a good summer, I think.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous painting and photos. How lovely to have the robins right by your window! Have a great week, stay creative, hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

So nice to see you are painting landscape again. Wonderful scenery; I imaging how you and your husband are walking in this calm landscape. Thanks for sharing the enchanting bird- and garden photos. I'm just practicing to paint some flowers... love your orange flower photo. I don't know what it is. I'm painting Gerberas and its much like it, but leaves are not the same kind...
Have a wonderful and healthy August we are living,
hugs xx

Barbara said...

So good to see painting again. Abstract that suggests as real a thing as a landscape is not easy. Go for the new style, we will enjoy seeing it! My baby bluebirds are getting ready to take off as well. I hope I get to see it happen. I think your gardens are lovely with their more natural look. Inertia is part of Covid life in this unbearable summer heat. We have to appreciate the natural look!

jenclair said...

Beautiful garden photos! The robins are such a delight and an inspiring and hopeful window view. I love the misty abstract from your morning walk, it evokes a peaceful mood--and we all need to enjoy calm in our lives.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Interesting, bugs liking a messy garden. I think you are right because I have also noticed the bug activity in not weeded areas is busier than in weeded well groomed garden areas.
Lovely paintings. Impressionism can border on the abstract. Your yard is a catalogue of paintings waiting for canvas and brush.

DVArtist said...

Yes getting in the art room and creating is the best of days.

Barwitzki said...

Your wonderful observation of the robins is so beautiful ... maybe you are lucky and see how their wings spread and fly out of the nest ... have fun in your beautiful garden and many warm greetings to you.

Rajani Rehana said...

Mind blowing post