Wednesday, October 6, 2021

'Shrooms and punkins-it's fall!

We have had lots of rain and cooler weather-perfect for all kinds of fungi to pop up in the lawn. I tried looking this one up-it may be a type of Amanita. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know. It was about 7 inches long. I found it tipped over on its side.

Above is another mushroom type.
Above-this is a stinkhorn fungus. It's quite creepy-just in time for Halloween. It's also called dead man's finger. I guess it stinks, but I didn't try to find out. We have had to cut trees, so the fungus has dead matter to feed on.
I like all of these fellows around. I think they are very interesting and fun to look at.
In researching what some of these are called, I came across many stories of people being made deathly sick because they ate mushrooms they found. Don't do that! Even experts have been fooled by certain species. I would only eat puffballs, and only then after cutting them and making sure no gills were hidden inside-in case it wasn't truly a puffball. I'm just not very schooled on this subject. I have heard too many stories of people getting sick-it's not worth it.
(And some are deadly)

One of our ornamental grasses turns beautiful colors in the fall...

My garden is full of verbena. The kale will be great after the first frost.
I have bushel gourds and winter squash hidden under those big leaves. The frost will show them all.




 Have a lovely fall...



9 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good afternoon, I loved this fall post very much. Nice to see your garden and all the fungi. I agree one must be taught by someone that knows the local mushrooms and harvests them. At the woods home we gathered up allot of mushrooms and I canned allot of them in 1/4 pints so good-hen of woods, corals, trumpets.
Nice pumpkins too-Happy fall Kathy

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Debra your yard and home are so beautiful. It looks like everything is still growing well. Like you I am not certain enough about mushrooms to gather them. I do know morels in the spring...the black and pine cone ones. I think I read that if the pitfalls are 6" across and totally white when you cut them in half they are safe...Just not sure I want to try them...definitely not worth the risk. Hope October is being good to you. Hugs!

Hill Top Post said...

It was so good to find your post here today. And fun too! I love the shrooms and punkins. Your garden is still looking lovely, but a little fall-like. Frost will be on those pumpkins before we know it.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely yard. Plants changing colors are inspiring.
Mushrooms have only grown in the lawn here, that I've noticed, in the last maybe 10 years.

sirkkis said...

Hello Debra,
How nice to hear from you... time flies! You've taken wonderful photos from wonderful fungi. The las one is amazing, never seen before. I like to walk in the forest to find mushrooms but never take one I don't know.
Your garden looks wonderful place and I noticed that you have chosen the color of your house just to match the surrounding. And I noticed that the lovely feather on your blog banner follows it.
We are already in October, and I like it. Nature is colorful and beautiful.
Have a lovely, heathy October, my friend xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely fungi, they always look so pretty. I would never eat them either, much too scared of getting poisoned! Your house and garden look really pretty. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Barbara said...

Ahhhh, in two weeks our South Jersey fall should look like yours, that is if global warming doesn’t keep us too warm!

jenclair said...

What a wonderful look at all aspects of your garden! From the mushrooms to the verbena (bonariensis?) to the lovely variegated leaves of the ornamental grasses--fall bounty in color, texture, and shape!

artbyjune said...

What a wonderful garden. I also love to look at the different wild mushrooms but never pick to eat them.