Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Art journal making and book making

Above-I watched a YouTube video about making your own Washi tape. The instructions were to cut strips of tracing paper and then glue little bits to the narrow strips. I decided to take a large piece of tracing paper and glue a collage to cover the paper, then cut that into strips. I haven't cut it yet-I'm thinking some of it will be made into book pages or pockets for book pages, and also Washi tape-which of course will have to be glued on the back.
Above is a book I made with sewn signatures, then glued those to the inside spine of an old gutted hardcover book. I used a variety of paper and sizes.
I realize I am very slow to jump on  the wagon of junk journal making, so this will be very boring for those of you who have done this for years. I'm having so much fun with it, and it's inspiring my painting as well.
Above is another book I have made. I made two rice paper inserts that are glued to the inside front cover and inside back cover. These pages flip upward and are meant to be painted on. The rest of the book opens normally.



Above and below are beautiful handmade papers form JoAnn's. It's their Parklane line of papergoods. This is lovely, heavy paper with vibrant colors. It's large enough to make many book covers or journal pages. I also bought the paper collection (below) which has 2 of each design-with some papers printed on front and back. For paper-lovers, these are a must have!
Look at how beautiful this paper is!
Below, I have been making linocuts to print in my books.


 And experimenting with Yupo paper and clear gesso. I used water soluable pencils and then painted over them with the clear gesso. Later I'll put some color on this and change it up to use in my books.

This is just so much fun. Thanks for visiting!

I'll show the progress of my books as I work in them.

***

14 comments:

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I love handmade books. They look super.

Hill Top Post said...

This just excites me to no end! I really don't think there is such a thing as being slow to jump on the wagon...as long as it is your own wagon, and this is definitely yours! I love every thing about your work and look forward to lots of posts and videos as you progress along.

Barbara said...

Book making is so special, and when the urge to try it hits there’s no stopping oneself! I’ve done it too, am now feeling that urge myself again. I think everything being electronic on screens makes one appreciate real books more than ever.

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening, I have always been wanting to make more books. I don't know much about binding them together-but handmade books are just so wonderful. I did make a fabric journal book a few years ago that I hand embroidered the pages together.
I am anxious for more posts on your journey.
I finished up making the walnut ink today and just did a post about it. Have a good evening hugs

kathyinozarks said...

oh and I didn't know jo ann's offered handmade papers I don't have a store near me though but I always loved their store

Valerie-Jael said...

Have fun making your books! Love the beautiful papers. Hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

All very nice. Have a great day.

jenclair said...

Love your books! I do think you are going to be having a lot of fun working on the pages, Debra. Don't get too busy, though, there is a goose in the garden waiting!

sirkkis said...

You've bought beautiful papers. I look forward seeing your own paper and type designs.
Have happy time xx

Debra said...

Thank you everyone!

artbyjune said...

Beautiful. It looks like such fun to make your own books and also lino cuts. I bought lino for making cuts but its still unused!!

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Debra should have read your post sooner. So good to see your new art journaling ideas. Hope you will share more of this journey. It has always looked like so much fun. May your days continue to be filled with the joy of creating. Hugs

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

They looks so wonderful!