Saturday, November 20, 2021

My junk art journal, and a wee tutorial about an easy little book you can make!

Above and below-the first pages of my art journal. I used acrylic gouache paints.
The Little Book tutorial
These are the covers-just fabric glued with gel medium on 3 pieces of mixed media sketchbook paper. Two for the back and front, and one piece for the book spine. The insides have fabric glued to them also. The wallpaper covered book is one of Tim Holtz's beautiful papers. The two red fabrics are antique fabric scraps -when I remember the seller I will include her shop name in this post. (The Textile Trunk) The blue fabric is a scrap from my Grandma, my sweet Grandma who is in heaven. She taught me to sew.
Above: I cut one long paper for the first page-just measure the book cover and double that. Fold in half. I used only 3 pages because the mixed media paper is very thick. Fold, then, insert them so they sit inside each other like a book would.
Above: Follow your fold line to sew the pages together with your sewing machine. Nothing could be easier!

Above: I want to insert this 'signature' or book section into my book cover. So I placed it inside and tied a string around the inside of the signature and knotted it on the outside of the book spine.


I made 3 signatures and of course, I did them all the same way.

 My little book is now ready for lots of stuff to be glued or drawn or painted on its pages.

There are so many excellent YouTube videos about book making. You will get lots of ideas and much better instruction if you watch the artists there. I love watching junk journal flip-throughs. This is a very exciting art form and I hope I have inspired you just a wee bit to try your hand at book-making. Remember-you don't have to be neat and tidy unless that's your style. 

If you decide to make a little book, I'd love to see what you make!

14 comments:

DVArtist said...

Wow! Great tutorial.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I love little handmade books like yours.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog this morning Debra. If I'm correct, I've seen your comments at Barbara's blog before. I'm so glad you find my blog interesting and I look forward to visiting yours again, too. It appears we have many of the same interests. That little book is wonderful. Like you, I sew using my machine, because I don't sew by hand.

I have been reading your other posts and I have to say, you are ONE AVID gardener, too.

sirkkis said...

Marvelous design Debra ✌ Love the first page, the blue bird looks fantastic as well as all other clever elements on it 💙
The small books and covers are wonderful,too. I can't do anything that small... I enlarged all to see better!
Happy weekend to you 💜

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I loved this tutorial very much-I am always inspired by these little handmade books-thanks so much It's a beautiful day today-just came in from burning leaves-where we live we have to dispose of them somehow, the wind really blows them back from where ever I had used them for mulch so need to burn most of them-sigh Happy weekend hugs

artbyjune said...

I love your hand-made books for art journalling. So far, I've only used bought sketchbooks to use for my journalling.

Debra said...

Thank you! I do put signatures together by hand sewing as well but I just wanted to show that it's so easy to make a little book! It's so nice to have your blog visit!!

Debra said...

Thank you!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous little books, I have often made books with stitched pages and it's a great technique. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Flowermouse Design ❀ Lone said...

What a wonderful book you’ve made. And thank you for your tutorial. I love your art work too. What a blessing you are for creative minds. Bless you and your Sunday❣️🙌

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Very nice!
An art journal in a handmade book is a heart warming gift all year, any day.

jenclair said...

Sweet little books! Love the first pages of your art journal--how nice to open up with a blue jay. :)

Hill Top Post said...

I knew your journals would be wonderful, and they are!! I love that you are incorporating your paintings among the pages. What fun!

Debbie Nolan said...

Debra your tutorial is super. Yes you are inspiring me. I have tons of card stock that would hold up well in book form. Thank you so much for sharing...will be following your lead and making one like you shared. Hugs!