Monday, August 7, 2023

A new painting


 Acrylic on cover of an 'Artists Loft' sketch book.
Debra Smith

I wanted to paint the front of my sketchbook so I'd know which way to open it when I wanted to use it, and just to decorate it a bit. I used painter's tape to block off the edges and when I took the tape off, it ripped off some of the cover of the book. Thankfully, not damaging the painting.

I feel like I am learning some things about values. I am happy about that because my folky paintings were all flat blocks of color-nothing wrong with that at all-I just want to learn more representational painting.
My color work needs much improvement.
It's ok.
The point is to keep working...
I thought soon I'd do a post about some of the books I am enjoying and learning from.

Have a wonderful week!



12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your paintings, Debra, and this one is no exception. I have always loved cows, and often visit them on their meadows near here. And my apartment is full of cows, but I'll share them another time! Hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

A good idea, Debra 👍and good start. I lök forward seeing moore.
Happy August 🍓😘

kathyinozarks said...

good morning, I am loving your paintings! Happy new week hugs from the lake

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I love the sunlight in your painting, very nice.

Creating depth in paintings is difficult for me. I keep trying.

Debbie Nolan said...

Debra - you are doing a fantastic job with these paintings. You are so versatile because you can paint folksy (whimsical) as well as representational. Keep painting dear one. I am so enjoying seeing your art. Hugs!

DVArtist said...

You are an amazing artist. I love this.

Hill Top Post said...

A great cover page, Debra. Cattle are not so easy to capture on paper with pen and paint. Now, I would love to look through the pages of your sketchbook. I look forward to your post on your art books. Hilltop Post

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I like your painting a lot, well done.

Aritha V. said...

It is nice, Debra. I love it. It could be a Dutch cow out the meadows here.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am not sure how missed this, dear Debra. I was in clean up mode the first of the month and now I am trying to play catch up. This is a fabulous painting. I think this cow is awesome and realistic, too. It makes a fun and beautiful cover. Simply gorgeous, dear.

Creative Publish said...

beautiful

Becki said...

I like this cow. I can almost feel the sunshine on her back.