Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The yard and gardens

 I have a small raised bed garden. Only two of the three beds are planted now. The middle one is empty till about mid-June.
 My husband and I found this mailbox in his old family dump in the woods, over 20 years ago. I brought it home and painted 'Sparrowgrass' on it. That was the name of my first blog, back in 2008. The flag is always up because there are messages to the birds, bees and other wildings always waiting to be delivered by the postman that I never see. He's out there, though.
 When I dig in this dirt, I find all kinds of artifacts. The house is circa 1880 or so-I find stuff from the different families who lived here. I made some tufa cement pots and with the leftover I made a slab and embedded some artifacts in the cement.
 I found an army man so he's guarding part of the garden.
 The birds leave feathers for me to gather.
 The rhubarb is getting bigger.
 Potatoes are in this bed. I put fencing around the garden beds to keep critters out.
 This flower bed is full of salvia, fennel, Russian sage and forget-me-nots.
 This is our home. That is a view of our kitchen porch, and that looks out onto the gardens.
 That part of the house, just out of sight from the kitchen porch, is my studio. The window to the right is the one I look out from when I'm painting.
 I made some rock beds, and hurt my back doing it-about 10 years ago. Thankfully, if I'm careful I can avoid back pain now-but I've had to learn what I can and can't do.
 Peonies coming up.
 And this is the queen of the place, my goose, Sam Houston. She is a girl, but when we got 4 baby geese 19 years ago, they were so tiny we didn't know if they were boys or girls. We named them all boy's names. Sam is the only one left. I lost Titus last September. The other geese were Corneilius and Atticus.
 Sam loves me. She is spoiled like crazy. I hold her on my lap and she falls asleep. She has laid 4 eggs this year. She'll be 19 years old in June.
 This is our view from the back of our house-there are farm fields beyond the trees. It's very quiet here. We live in the beautiful Finger Lakes area of New York. 
 And this is how far along our lilacs are this year-way behind normal. It will be mid-May before they are blooming. We had a hard frost just this morning.
 This is our front porch. My studio goes out onto this porch.
 The garden right by the front porch.
 Skunk cabbage that I transplanted ages ago.
And my little seedlings-tomato, marigold, bushel gourd and green amaranth. So anxious for warm weather and to be out in my garden.
Thank you for touring my yard with me today!

15 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Debra, your house and garden are both beautiful. Love all the objects you have found and conserved, great idea. Looks like a lot of hard work, too. Sorry you hurt our back, please be careful! And I love your goose, so beautiful. Give here a hug from me! Hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I needed your post today thank you-lovely home, love everything you posted-hugs

Chris Lally said...

Wow, Debra! What a treat to have been taken on this tour! Especially love Sam Houston & Sparrowgrass:) Looking forward to seeing how your garden grows this year!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear friend thank you for allowing me to visit your home and garden. Such a beautiful and welcoming spot. Made my day so blessed. Your lilacs actually look further along than ours. March here was unusually warm but April has been exceptionally cool. Hoping May warms up. Now I can picture you sitting on your porch looking out onto the garden. Thank you again for opening up your lovely home. Hugs!

sirkkis said...

What interesting things you have found and made them useful. I see you have lots of working but sure it's worth of doing.
I look forward seeing your garden in full glory later
I love your sweet Mrs Sam ♥️. She is in high age but is still laying eggs 👍
Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos and stories of them ❤️
Take care and be well 😘

jenclair said...

Such fun visiting your house and garden! And Hello, Sam Houston! :)

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Hellp Debra...i took my time, sat back and really enjoyed this post. I feel like I had an outing to visit family. You do a lot of things I do so I feel we would be great friends if we lived close by. I painted a heart on my mailbox arm - just like on Sparrowgrass. Tell me...is that a molar with roots an' all, in the cement slab? Sam on your lap for her nap had me grinning. Please take good pics to share when the peonies bloom. I will not be able to get to my friends to paint them this year. Stay safe!

Debra said...

I'll take lots of pictures for anyone to paint from! Thank you!

Debra said...

And yes, it's a cow tooth! Dug it up one time while digging in the garden!

Barbara said...

I so enjoyed the tour of your world! It helps, enjoy your gardens while the weather gets warmer.

Barbara said...

A tour like this gives all of us a chance to know you more! Mine would not be as interesting, but it would be me. 😂

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm taking a break from packing this morning and am so glad I got to see this post. I like everything about your garden. It makes me think about all that I will have to leave behind in mine though. I'm glad to see where you live and will always think of you in that setting when I visit.
xx, Carol

artbyjune said...

An extremely interesting tour of your world. I love your friendly goose! Also I love the original name for your blog!!

DVArtist said...

This is really nice. I miss MT. Your garden looks great. Ohhh wonderful finds too. Enjoy your day.

Barbra Joan said...

I enjoyed everyone of your photos. Thanks for sharing them Debra.