Tuesday, November 10, 2020

The reluctant painter

There is a beautiful light this time of the year, early in the morning. I wish I could capture it with my camera.
Before the sun is showing above the horizon, the glow makes all yellow leaves still on the trees light up as if they had an inner light.
I love the bare trees too. When it gets a little colder, there will be a mist amongst the branches and in the goldenrod, and over the corn fields.
I am completely discouraged with my try at oil painting. I thought I had used this type of paint 20 years ago-but it's been 40 years. I was in my 20's and somehow I did manage a few okay oil paintings. But this time I can't seem to get past awful messes. I am trained by the acrylics to have a short drying time. And now I must worry about spontaneous combustion from oil soaked paper towels! So I will burn them after I paint. The brand I'm using is M. Graham oils and they are amazing. The pigments are rich, the texture creamy and not oily out of the tube. 
I don't even know what this mess, above, is. The palette is more interesting!
I have managed 2 days of trying this, so I will keep trying for a while.
Discouraged....


 If you want to learn a lot about color and light, this is the book. James Gurney is a marvelous artist and good teacher. 

My brother is better, and my mom is safe. This time that we're in is very trying to say the least!

Take care, and thank you for visiting.

6 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good to read your family is better and safe.

Years ago, going back to painting (watercolors), I felt like you are, not getting it right, palette looks better. It wasn't all me. It was the paint not moving the same as I remember it did. The prices were certainly much higher. I wonder if the formula changed. I don't recall ever needing any liquid to make it flow better. Nowadays, it looks like extenders are required.

Barbara said...

Love the photos, especially the yellow leaves. Oil painting is challenging. It takes patience for drying but I always liked that. It allowed me to re-work sometime much time later. I see the beginning of a very nice “ mess” in your piece. The gradual color transition you achieved from low to full sky is beautiful. Yes, keep trying!

Debra said...

I am wishing I didn't buy such a lot of this paint...But maybe I will keep trying it and doing some acrylics just so I don't get too discouraged. There's alot of extenders with this non-toxic paint, but it was news to me that paper towels or rags can burst into flames. They give directions about handling rags safely. If I had known that beforehand, I wouldn't have bought them.

Debra said...

Thank you! I don't want to completely give up so soon. Before when I used oils, I used turp, and it makes drying time less. I know I didn't have such good oils then.

sirkkis said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.
I haven't try oil painting ever.
Have nice rest of week and stay safe xx

jenclair said...

Frustrating, but I hope your progress with the new paints leads you to where you feel comfortable. I'm glad your mom is safe and your brother improving!