Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Me and dirt, we get along

The babies fledged.
Above is some of my fennel. I raise it for the butterflies. It smells good too, and looks like a fairyland with dew drops in the sunshine.
My salvia is in its glory-I wish you could see it in person.
My money plant is making half-dollars I think!

The blue podded snow peas will be ready in a week or so. Everything is looking so good, and I just love poking in the dirt and planting stuff.

The beans are up. This is the new addition to my garden-I use the bury it in straw method of no-tilling the soil. It works so well, and I have worms galore, and rich, beautiful dirt. I just pull away the part of the straw I want to plant, and hand dig that area. The straw makes the soil moist, so it's not that hard to hand dig.
This is more of that area, and most of it will be covered with gourds and winter squash vines, I hope.


I have a pink columbine that's 4 feet tall!


The Harrison's rose, or Yellow Rose of Texas is blooming-2 weeks early. It is a fragrant rose, and loves to climb.


Above is my studio porch. That door takes you into my studio.


 Sam waits for me to come and hold her. She is lonely. Geese are just not solitary animals. I did a Google search about losing friends during the pandemic. There were 144,000,000 reference sites for that search. It has been a problem for all age groups. 

I have almost finished painting our kitchen and will take photos when the sun is shining.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you can get your hands in some dirt...

16 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos of your beautiful garden! Hugs, Valerie

Hill Top Post said...

Oh, Sam is looking so good! I see no ill effects from having lost a few feathers. :~) That's an excellent title for this post..."me and dirt we get along." It's pretty obvious that you really do. Wow, on those beautiful pink blossoms. EVERYTHING looks so healthy and seems to be flourishing. I surely would have walked right through that studio door! Another great post, Debra!

Barbara said...

You do have a knack for growing things! It’s not my forte so I appreciate your post a lot. I do have columbine though, it is beautiful. Do you have a separate building for your studio?

jenclair said...

Oh, the salvia! And the money plant! Well, I could go on and on, but what a wonderful garden full of flowers, vegetables, art, and a back porch to sit and admire it on. I'd love to wander through your garden, Debra. :)

DVArtist said...

Your garden looks amazing! Those flowers are so pretty. Have a nice day.

Debbie Nolan said...

Debra I had such a lovely visit here. Your "green thumb" is certainly apparent with your beautiful flowers. The columbine being 4 feet tall is amazing. Never grew fennel before. Interesting plant - may just have to plant some because I love having the butterflies stop by. Will email you soon friend. Hope you have a super first week of June. I will be thinking of you while I am digging in the dirt too. Hugs!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Would Sam be comforted by a goose lawn sculpture, a mirror or a photo of geese?
You could sell half hour Hold Sam sessions for donations to a local animal shelter. I think there's folks out there that would love to sit with her for a bit.
Your garden is gorgeous!

Debra said...

No separate buildng-my studio is our former living room. We now use the dining room for a living room-it's a better arrangement, and it was my husband's idea! (He's so good!) It's a big room with the door going out to the front porch. It's a little weird calling it the front porch I guess, because we have a dirt road that's used by us, the across the road neighbor, and one other family. Our Mennonite farmer friends use the road most often-there are huge fields down the road from us. This year it's corn and hay- last year it was hay and soybeans. We saw 5 ravens in the corn field this morning on our walk. And a family of foxes last week! We do love our location here, and our wonky old house!

Debra said...

That's a good idea-she is quite a character though, and would probably not let anyone else hold her! I was going to get her a goose decoy when Titus died, but we watched her closely, and it wasn't really necessary. The only thing she did was to build a nest in her night time pen, and not want to get off of it when it was time to go out in the morning. She didn't lay eggs, she just needed the nest for comfort. She grew out of that, but still craves our times together, as do I...

Debra said...

Your garden is truly a work of art. I'm humbled by your opinion of mine! Of course, I show all the good parts!!

Debra said...

I love your posts too...thank you my friend!

Debra said...

:) Hugs back dear one!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Garden is looking great. I spent about an hour gardening today, my hands hurt too much to stay at it for long, the weeds will have to wait. The plant you call money plant is called Honesty here.

artbyjune said...

I totally love your garden. I have some violet columbines in a pot but the greenfly are eating them. I planted a lupin, I love lupins, but it vanished. I think it was maybe stolen as my primroses were stolen in Spring. So sad! I am in a ground floor flat with a tiny pocket of garden open to all...so things are too open to stay in one place long. I love your goose!

Debra said...

Thank you! That is very sad that people would steal plants!!! Your garden sounds pretty-I love small secret gardens!

caliburger34 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.